12 November 2012

Easy Japanese Curry


Even with 5 kids running around, I made this. :) 



I have been craving Japanese curry for weeks now. I don't know why but it's been an unsatisfied craving until today. Woo Hoo!! :)

I remember my grandma who use to make this kind of curry all the time. It was always thick, chunky and best of all, yummy! I like the fact that it's a little sweeter then Indian curries. 

I wanted to make the curry so I can give Kat something a little different for lunch. She loves her onigiri and gyoza, but she must be getting tired of the same thing everyday. So I thought, I could make curry with an onigiri on top. My inspiration came from my this picture my twitter friend, ♥ ღஜღ Michele ღஜღ ♥, posted a little while ago. I decided to make frog onigiri because of Yum Yum Bento. I love that book so much! 


Kat's Bento Lunch
I found his recipe online:  http://norecipes.com/blog/karei-raisu-japanese-curry-rice/ and love it. It's super easy and pretty fool-proof. I made a couple of changes, only because I can't seem to make a good roux. I know, the simplest thing in the world, but I seem to keep messing it up. :(

Japanese Curry
(adapted from http://norecipes.com/blog/karei-raisu-japanese-curry-rice/)

1/4 C flour
1 Tbsp garam masala 
1 Tbsp curry powder
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper (add less if you want it mild or more if you want it spicy)
fresh ground black pepper
1/2 cup water
1 Tbs ketchup (or tomato paste)
1 Tbs tonkatsu sauce (or worcestershire sauce)
2 tsp oil
1 large onions sliced thin
2 carrots cut into chunks
4 cups water
2 large yukon gold potatoes; cut into large chunks
1 small apple; peeled, cored and pureed (I just put it in my blender with a little water)
2 tsp kosher salt (I actually didn't use any salt)
1 tsp garam masala (if needed)
1/2 cup frozen peas

- In a small bowl, mix together flour, garam masala, curry powder, cayenne pepper, black pepper, water, ketchup and tonkatsu sauce. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat, add onions and cook until translucent. 

- Add carrots and saute for about 5 mins, making sure not to burn the onions. 

- Add water, potatoes, apple puree and salt. Increase heat to high and bring to a boil. 

- Reduce heat, simmer for about 20 mins, or until carrots and potatoes are fork tender. 
- Increase heat and bring to a boil. Add curry mixture and mix well. Allow to boil for another 10 mins or until curry has thickened. Taste to see if additional garam masala is needed. If the curry is to thick add more water, or coconut milk (to make it creamy). 
- Remove from heat. Add frozen peas and stir until peas have heated through. Serve with some rice and enjoy.

Oh, I made my little frog using a panda bear mold I purchased from Bento USA. This makes the process so easy. I was able to make an army of frogs with little effort. :)

Panda Bento Rice Mold and Seaweed Nori Puncher Set
Panda Bento Rice Mold and Seaweed Nori Puncher Set
For the frog in the picture, I used Wilton candy eyeballs . All my other frogs, I used white cheese and nori. The nostrils are black sesame seeds. The mouth, I cut from nori as well. I also coloured my rice using some pureed spinach, added to the water and rice before I put it into my rice cooker. Next time, I might try colouring the rice after it's cooked. The spinach did quite the number on my rice cooker. I guess live and learn right? LOL!

Ribbit Ribbit

What would you eat for lunch everyday? 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
;