25 March 2012

Vegan Gluten-Free Lasagna

Tonight's dinner was especially made for my husband. His favourite meal in the whole world is Lasagna! :)



I used gluten-free brown rice lasagna noodles. I'm really enjoying the brown rice pasta brands I have purchased recently. Maybe I have finally realized I can't cook gluten-free pasta the same way as regular pasta. You know: boil water, add salt and oil, add pasta, set timer and stir it a couple of times, then you're done. With gluten-free pasta either I overcooked it or under cooked it. Either way, it was bad. Now, I know I have to almost "babysit" the pasta while its cooking.

This evening I used, yet another brand of pasta. This time it was Tinkyada's Brown Rice Lasagna noodles. I was looking for an oven-ready product, but my grocery store does not carry a gluten-free oven ready lasagna noodles. :(


I had to par-boil this noodles, but it didn't take long at all. The package says to cook it for 15-16 minutes, or 2 minutes less if you are going to put the lasagna in the oven after. Trust me, if I had followed in the instructions, the pasta would have been mush. *Yuck* I just cooked the noodles for about 5 minutes, then I removed the pot from the heat and left the pasta in the hot water until everything else was ready. Then, rinsed the pasta and covered it with cold water in the pot. (Just so the pasta didn't stick together.)

Since, my husband is also lactose-free and is actually following his lactose-free diet, I didn't put any regular cheese in the lasagna. I added a 1/4 cup of Nutritional Yeast and 1/4 cup of Daiya Cheddar Cheese Shreds in between the layers.

Speaking of sauce, I didn't realize how difficult it was to find a pasta sauce which does not contain cheese or mushrooms. Something else my dear husband has an intolerance too! *sigh* However, Whole Foods does! I stocked up on it, when I made a trip a couple of weeks ago.


Both of these sauces are soo...good! Normally, I would buy a sauce, then add something, but these were perfect right out of the bottle. I did add some garlic, onion, broccoli and SoL Ogranic Veggie Crumbles, just to give the sauce some heartiness. Other then that, these were PERFECT!! Love them so much!  :)

I'm sure everyone has their own favourite recipe for lasagna, I know I do. So next time your in the mood to make lasagna why not try my little additions. Trust me, you won't even miss the meat or dairy. When my husband and kids ate the lasagna, they didn't even notice the difference, except this lasagna was the best I have ever made and I have made a LOT of lasagna!! :)

So what's your favourite pasta sauce or brand of gluten-free lasagna? Let me know, in the comments below. I'd love to hear them!!

Happy Cooking!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
;