09 March 2012

Gluten-Free Lactose-Free Pasta a la Vodka

After meeting all the wonderful and inspiring people at the Gluten-Free dinner/meet-up hosted by Gluten-Free Onario, my husband has decided to take his gluten and lactose intolerance seriously. So we have jumped in with both feet. No, we are not a totally Gluten-Free household. I may need a total kitchen renovation for that to happen, but I have be significantly reduced my husband's gluten and lactose intake. 

I have been having a hard time finding a good wheat pasta alternative, but have come to the realization I can't cook gluten-free pasta the same way as regular pasta. I have to watch is more carefully, it's not a forgiving as regular wheat pasta.

A couple of nights ago I made a wonderful Pasta a la Vodka. I use a pretty simple recipe from one of my favourite sites: Allrecipes.com. This has always been my go-to recipe for Vodka sauce, although I make it vegetarian. Since my husband is lactose intolerant, I subbed the whipping cream with almond milk. It was pretty good, but the sauce was a little thin. Next time, I'll use unsweetened coconut cream, for a creamier sauce. :)

Vegetarian Pasta a la Vodka
I used GoGo Quinoa Fusilli and it was pretty good. I learned my lesson last time I tried to make gluten-free pasta. I try the Spaghetti version of the brand and it fell apart, but in my defense, it was my first time making gluten-free pasta and didn't have a clue how to cook it. The time on the box was WAY too long. Live and learn, right? :)


Verdict
I'm not sure if I would by this again. The pasta itself did not cook evenly, but that could have been my fault. I may buy it again to see if I can prefect the cooking time. I don't remember the price, so that may also determine if I would buy this brand of pasta again.  For me, it would be a maybe. 

Do you have a funny gluten-free mishap while you were cooking?

Happy Cooking!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
;