28 September 2011

Update - Quinoa Veggie "Meatballs"

I was so obsessed with my "meatballs" I couldn't sleep the other night. So guess what we had for lunch on Tuesday? Yep, that's right, VEGAN Quinoa Veggie "Meatballs". They were so good. Kat wasn't such a fan, she said she missed the meat, but Alyssa and Logan both enjoyed it. :)

I double my recipe and omitted the egg and used 1/4 cup rice flour. Yum! I didn't even notice the difference, but it did make 33 "meatballs" more then double what I had the night before. Oh well, more yummy-ness for tomorrow. :)

My little "meatballs" before heading into the oven.
After baking them, I dropped them into a pot of tomato sauce and tossed them around a little for coat in some sauce, placed them into some hot dog buns, topped with Daiya cheese and popped them back in the warm oven to melt the cheese.

Vegan Quiona "Meatball" Sandwich
This will definitely be placed on my meal rotation. It was pretty easy and fun for the kids to roll into little balls. Best part: I don't have to worry about them rolling the "meatballs" because there are no raw egg. Yay!

Oh, last night I also made some Pea and Basil Pesto with gnocchi, zucchini pancakes and pork skewers. (Remember, the husband doesn't like things two nights in a row. LOL!) I have never made my own pesto, but have always wanted to. My little herb pot is starting to look bare, I guess I'm using to much basil. So I mixed the pea and basil together. It was soo...yummy and quick. I don't know why I never tried making it before. It would have saved me so much money. Oh well, lesson learned and next year I'm buying the biggest basil pot at the Farmer's Market. :)

Gnocchi with Pea and Basil Pesto, Zucchini Pancakes and
Pork Skewers with Tzatziki Sauce

Pea and Basil Pesto
makes about 1 1/2 cup of pesto


Ingredients:
1 cup frozen peas, thawed
½ cup fresh basil, chopped
2 tbsp pecans, chopped
¼ cup parmesan cheese
3 cloves garlic, chopped 
¼ cup olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste


Directions: 

  1. Place all ingredients into a small food processor and puree until smooth. Store in an airtight container in fridge for 3-4 days. 
* I like my pesto garlic-y, but if you don't just reduce the number of garlic cloves. :)

Everyone enjoyed the gnocchi and the pesto. Next time, I might try my luck with making my own gnocchi. I have seen many recipes and they all look pretty easy. It also looks like something my kids would enjoy making with me. :)

Happy Cooking!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
;