Anyway, this awesome picture came up. A RED crepe. Then I read the "Red Velvet Crepe". OMG YUM! I dreamed about these crepes last night. Of course, I had to make crepes today! :)
|Gluten-Free: Made with Corn and Quinoa Flour|
Recently, I have been chatting with @JaxGFOntario on Twitter and on Facebook. She is a awesome! She was diagnosed with Celiac Disease a few years ago. Now, she is a huge advocate for the Gluten-Free options at restaurants and trying to raise awareness for Celiac Disease. She is also the listener who "persuaded" Fearless Fred, from the Edge 102.1, to try Gluten-Free Beer on is radio station and bring awareness of Celiac Disease and gluten intolerance to his listeners. How awesome is that!!
In addition to my huge craving for crepes, I thought I would make a gluten-free recipe just for Jax, oh and for my dear hubby, who also has a gluten intolerance. So Jax, this one is for you! Oh, and you too hun! *muah* :)
Chocolate Crepes with Mascarpone Filling
½ cup quinoa flour
1 cup corn flour
1 tbsp cocoa powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 ½ tsp coconut palm sugar (or 1 tbsp white sugar)
¼ tsp salt
½ cup water
1 cup almond milk
1 ½ tsp vanilla extract
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- Sift quinoa flour, corn flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, palm sugar and salt into a bowl, stir well.
- In a separate bowl, add water, almond milk, vanilla extract and apple cider vinegar, mix wet ingredients and add to dry ingredients. Mix until there are no lumps. Place in refrigerator for an hour.
- Remove batter from refrigerator and preheat crepe pan (I just used a skillet) over medium heat. Test pan by placing about 1 tsp of batter onto the pan, if it cooks with 2-3 minutes, the pan is hot enough.
- Grease pan with some oil and cooking the crepes using about ¼ cup of batter. Pour batter into pan and swirl pan until the batter coats the bottom of the pan. If there are holes in the crepe, add just enough batter to cover the holes. Cook until the bottom of the crepe starts to turn brown, flip the crepe and cook other side for about a minute more. Then remove to a parchment paper lined plate and keep warm in oven set to 200 F. Continue until all the batter is done.
- Remove crepes from oven.
- Prepare mascarpone filing and blueberry drizzle.
- Fill crepes with mascarpone filling, top with blueberry drizzle. Serve warm.
1 cup whipping cream
1 (275 g) mascarpone cheese
½ cup icing sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
Place all ingredients into a bowl and beat with hand mixer until filling becomes light and fluffy. Place in refrigerator until needed.
1 cup frozen blueberries, thawed (or fresh)
1 ½ tsp coconut palm sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
Place all ingredients into blender and puree until smooth.
If you have an questions or concerns about Celiac Disease in Ontario, or if you are looking for restaurants who have Gluten-Free options, check out Jax's website: Gluten-Free Ontario or check her out on Facebook.
Next week, I am going to work on a yummy vegan version of the mascarpone filling. Wish me luck!! :)
Happy Cooking!! :)