Last night, I celebrated with a Vegan Thanksgiving of my own. I had every intention on making Chloe Coscarelli' Harvest-Stuffed Protobello Mushrooms, but got lazy. I was running out of time. It was already nearly 6 PM and I hadn't even started dinner yet. (Yeah, I'm a procrastinator!) So I changed it up a bit, but this was dinner:
|Portobello Mushrooms stuffed with Cranberry stuffing served |
with Sauteed Brussels Sprouts and "Bacon",
Mashed Potatoes and vegan gravy
Dinner was so good! I can't wait for next year's Vegan Thanksgiving meal. Hopefully, next year I'll have a better camera, so I can take more pictures worth drooling over. Oh, and I won't underestimate my food prep timing. LOL!! :)
Portobello Mushroom stuffed with Cranberry Stuffing
Inspired by Chloe Coscarelli's Harvest-Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms
1 tablespoon olive oil, plus extra for brushing
1 onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
8 Portobello Mushroom stems, chopped
¼ cup dried cranberries, roughly chopped
1 package dried vegan stuffing
2 ½ cup vegetable broth, plus extra
2 tbsp vegan margarine
Salt and pepper to taste
8 Portobello Mushrooms, cleaned, stems and gills removed (discard gills)
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease baking sheet with some olive oil, set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat, add onion. Saute until onions become translucent, add garlic and chopped mushroom stems. Continue to cook until mushroom stems start to get soft and loose some liquid. Add dried cranberries, stuffing and vegetable broth. When mixture starts to become thick, remove from heat and mix in margarine, then season with salt and pepper.
- Brush both sides of mushroom with oil, then stuff evenly with cranberry stuffing. Bake for about 30 minutes or until stuffing is brown and mushrooms become soft. Serve with mashed potatoes and gravy. Yum!
Sauteed Brussels Sprouts with "Bacon"
1 package Smoky Maple Bacon Marinated Tempeh
1 lb Brussels sprouts
¼ cup water
Salt and pepper
- In a large skillet, cook tempeh as per package. Remove from skillet, then cut into bit size pieces.
- Rinse Brussels sprouts, then remove stems and pull apart leaves. Slice tough center parts thinly. Place in colander and rinse again.
- In same skillet, add Brussels sprouts and sauté for 2-3 minutes. Add water and all Brussels spourts to wilt. When all the water has evaporated, add cooked tempeh and season with salt and pepper. Continue to sauté until tempeh is hot again. Serve immediately.
Happy (belated) Thanksgiving!!