I think it's beautiful! I love how strange it looks. Strangely beautiful? I love the taste, it is much nuttier then cauliflower and definitely not as sweet. Everyone loved it!
I really didn't know what to do with it. I knew I didn't want lose it's shape and colour. I also didn't want to lose all it's flavour or cover it up. So steaming it was the best option for me. I'm really glad I did! It was so yummy, especially with "cheese" sauce. Soo...good!!
|Eggplant Lasagna with Romanesco|
I paired this awesome vegetable with some more vegetables, Eggplant Lasagna to be exact. It was a great accompaniment. I know Meatless Monday was yesterday, but today was our meatless day. :)
Vegan Gluten-Free Eggplant Lasagna with Romanesco Broccoli topped with Herb and Chives Cheddar Cheese Sauce
2 large eggplants, cut into ½” rounds
1 tsp olive oil
1 small onion, minced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 small zucchini, finely chopped
6-8 button mushrooms, finely chopped
1 orange bell pepper, finely chopped
1 ½ tsp Italian seasoning
Pinch fennel seeds
2 cup tomato sauce
1 cup vegan mozzarella (I always use Daiya Cheese)
- Turn on broiler to low. Lightly oil a baking sheet and place eggplant rounds on baking sheet in 1 layer at a time. Roast for about 5 minutes, then turn and roast other side for another 3-4 minutes. Repeat until all of the eggplant has been roasted.
- Heat oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat, add onions and sauté for 2-3 minutes, until onions start to soften. Add garlic and sauté for another 2-3 minutes, until garlic becomes fragrant. Add remaining vegetables and seasonings. Continue to cook until vegetables become soft. Add tomato sauce, reduce heat to medium and simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- To Assemble: Preheat oven to 400 F. Place 6 large eggplant rounds on a casserole pan, top with tomato sauce, and some cheese, repeat 2 more times, ending with cheese on top. Bake in preheated oven for 10-15 minutes, just until cheese melts.
- Remove from oven. Remove on to plates and serve with cheesy broccoli.
Romanesco Broccoli topped with Herb and Chives Cheddar Cheese Sauce
1 head Romanesco Broccoli (or any other broccoli or cauliflower)
¼ cup Herb and Chive vegan cream cheese (I used Tofutti)
¼ cup almond milk
1 cup vegan cheddar cheese (I used Daiya Cheese)
1-2 tbsp water, if required
- Steam broccoli, then set aside and keep warm.
- Heat a small saucepan over medium heat, add cream cheese and milk, whisk until cream cheese has melted. Add vegan cheese a handful at a time, whisk until cheese has melted and fully incorporated before adding next handful of cheese. If cheese sauce is too thick, add water until it become a nice velvety consistency. Serve immediately over broccoli.
Happy Cooking!! :)