23 November 2011

On the Road to a Vegan Thanksgiving - Part 1

I have been working on recipes for a very Vegan Thanksgiving tomorrow. It's not really Thanksgiving, since I live in Canada. We celebrated in October with a Traditional Turkey and Baked Ham. Yes, it was yummy and I don't regret it. However, to redeem my holiday, I have decided to celebrate with my fellow American neighbours , with a vegan meal. :)

Today, I did some prep work. I decided to make one my desserts ahead of time, Four Ingredient Pumpkin Pie. Instead of an actual pie, I decided to make put them in little shot glasses and didn't bake them. Boy, were they good. Especially, topped with some coconut cream. 


Four Ingredient Pumpkin Pie Shots (adapted by Four Ingredient Pumpkin Pie)
Made 12 shot glasses

Ingredients: 
1 1/4 cups raw soaked almonds
1/2 cup maple syrup
1 can pumpkin pie filling (16 ounces)
1 can coconut cream
Graham cracker crumbs to sprinkle on top
optional: 1/2 tsp salt to taste (depends how much salt you soaked your almonds in)

Directions:

  1. Soak about one cup of raw almond in about 2 1/2 cups of water in a large bowl. Add about 1/2 - 1 tsp of salt to the bowl - mix to dissolve. The salt allows the water to absorb more efficiently into the cashews and also adds some salt for your recipe.
  2. Soak this almonds bowl overnight in the fridge. You want well-soaked cashews so that your pie mix blends up perfectly creamy. I soaked my cashews for about 18 hours. At least 8 is optimal.
  3. Drain canned coconut cream of excess liquid and place in fridge, until ready to use.
  4. Drain the water from your cashews. They should be very soft to bite. Add 1 1/4 cups of almonds to your food processor. Puree for 3-5 minutes, until almonds are very small pieces.
  5. Add pumpkin pie filling to blender. Next, add in the maple syrup. Puree for about 3-5 minutes until the mixture is completely creamy. If your mixture is a bit thick for some reason - you can add in a few teaspoons of water, maple syrup or even non-dairy milk.
  6. Fill shot glasses with pumpkin pie filling and top with coconut cream. You can place in fridge until ready to serve.
  7. When ready to serve sprinkle some graham cracker crumbs.

Stay tuned for more Vegan Thanksgiving recipes! :)

Happy Vegan Thanksgiving!! :)

1 comment:

  1. Not a fan of pumpkin ... how about I sub in regular custard? :)

    And yes, Island Foods rocks!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
;