28 October 2011

Vegetarian Breakfast Burrito

I don't always eat the most nutritious breakfast, but today I was determined to make a fabulous breakfast for my husband. He's been working non-stop for weeks. And on his days off, he'd go help out family members with their computer or technology problems.

While on Facebook a few days ago, I notice a post from Diabetic Living: Our Best Breakfast Recipes. I came across two recipes that really peaked my interests: Eggs Benedict and Knife and Fork Breakfast Burrito.

Today, I made Knife and Fork Breakfast Burrito. My husband doesn't really care for Eggs Benedict. I know right? Who doesn't like Eggs Benedict? 



It was so yummy. I did make some small additions, but I'm sure the recipe would be great without them. :)

Breakfast Burrito
Ingredients:
1 cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained
1/3 cup bottled chunky salsa
1 large tomato, diced
1 medium avocado, diced
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 tbsp fresh cilantro, roughly chopped
2 tsp oil, divided
4 eggs
Salt and pepper, to taste
1/2 cup vegan cheese, divided
Extra salsa and vegan sour cream

Directions: 

  1. In a small saucepan, heat beans over medium-high heat. When beans are heated through and softened, remove from heat and roughly mash. Add salsa and mix well. Cover and keep warm.
  2. Preheat oven to 350 F.
  3. In a bowl mix tomatoes, avocado, lemon juice and cilantro, season with salt and pepper to taste, then set aside.
  4. Heat skillet over medium-high heat, add ½ tsp of oil. In a small bowl, scramble one egg, add salt and pepper to taste. When pan is hot, pour scrambled egg into the pan. Lift and tilt the pan to spread egg over the entire bottom of the pan. Cook for about 1-2 minutes, or until lightly browned on one side.  Place on heat proof plate, fill with ¼ of black bean mixture and ¼ tomato mixture, then fold in half. Continue with the rest of the eggs.
  5. Turn off oven. Top burrito with cheese and place in preheated oven for about 5 minutes, or until the cheese has melted.
  6. Carefully remove from oven. Top with sour cream and salsa. Serve with some toast and fruit salad, if desired. 
Of course, you don't need to use vegan cheese or sour cream, but the hubby is lactose intolerant. He doesn't really care about it,but I'm the one who has to "suffer" with all his complaining after he eats dairy products. So I try to sub the dairy-free stuff in whenever he's not looking. :)

Happy Cooking!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
;