As I mention in my previous post, I picked up some incredible vegan "cheese". So I decided to make homemade pizza for dinner. Yes, even the crust is made from scratch! :) (Recipe is below.) I topped the pizza with lots of vegetables, fresh basil from my herb garden, tomato sauce and TONS of "cheese"!
|Pizza Toppings: Tomato Sauce, Red Peppers, Portabella and Button Mushrooms, Spinach, |
Ishtar Zucchini, Basil Leaves and Mozzarella and Cheddar "Cheese"
I cooked the pizza on a regular metal cookie sheet, since I have yet to find the "perfect" pizza stone for my kitchen collection. I also cooked the pizza on the rack one higher then the middle because I don't like the crust to crispy, but that's personal preference. :)
|The finished product. :) So yummy!|
- In a large bowl, dissolve the yeast and sugar in the water, and let sit for 10 minutes.
- Stir the salt, Italian seasoning, garlic powder and oil into the yeast solution. Mix in oat bran and 2 1/2 cups of the flour.
- Turn dough out onto a clean, well floured surface, and knead in more flour until the dough is no longer sticky. Place the dough into a well oiled bowl, and cover with a cloth. Let the dough rise for about an hour, dough should be twice its size. Punch down the dough, and form a tight ball. Allow the dough to relax for a minute before rolling out.
- Preheat oven to 425 F. If you are baking the dough on a pizza stone, put your toppings on the dough, and bake immediately. If you are baking your pizza on a pizza pan, lightly oil the pan and dust with a little cornmeal, then bake the crust with no toppings in preheated oven for about 10 mins. Remove the crust and put the toppings on your pizza, then your pizza will not be soggy in the middle.
- Put dressed pizza in oven again, until the cheese and crust are golden brown, about 10 to 15 minutes.